Food Handling Course
- If you need to meet the new Food Act requirements then PCTI can help with our Food Handler Courses
- When you work in the food industry you have a responsibility to practise good food safety methods so that the public will not become sick from eating contaminated food
- The laws (statutes) that guard against unsafe food being sold are:
- The Food Act 2014
- The Food Hygiene Regulations 1974
- Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
- The bulk of the course is delivered via distance learning so you can study from anywhere in the North Island
- For the Advanced course, most of our students live within a 2 hour drive of Tauranga so they can visit our Tauranga training centre for the final assessment
Food Handler Course Details
- Provided by Food and Produce NZ, these courses are for anyone training to work in a food business and concludes in an understanding of practices that result in safe food.
- Everyone who works in the food industry must practice good food safety methods so their customers do not become ill from eating food bought from their outlets.
- People who complete these courses are able to demonstrate knowledge of food contamination hazards whether chemical or physical and prevent cross contamination by handling food safely, delivering food that is clean, safe and of good quality.
2 Course Options
- Standard Course
- You will receive a distance learning pack consisting of a food hygiene booklet and an assessment to complete at your own pace before sending the assessment back to us for marking
- Unit Standard 20666: Demonstrate basic knowledge of contamination hazards and control methods used in a food business. (Level 2 | Credits 2)
- Cost: $110 inc. GST
- Advanced Course
- The standard course is also covered with the addition of unit standard 167
- The advanced course incorporates additional theory, practical activities and assessments
- The practical part of this assessment is delivered in our Tauranga training facility (or we can come to you anywhere within a 2 hour drive of Tauranga for a fee)
- Unit standard 20666 + Unit standard 167: Practise food safety methods in a food business under supervision. (Level 2 | Credits 4)
- Cost: $320 inc. GST
Minimum numbers apply to run an advanced course in-house, please inquire first prior to making payment to confirm
Participants will receive a Certificate of Achievement & NZQA credits.
The topics covered on these courses include:
- Personal hygiene and unhygienic activities through the use of good habits and avoiding bad habits. Cleaning and sanitising (there is a difference) work areas and equipment.
- Handling and monitoring high risk food correctly as well as storing them at the correct temperature as well as handling rubbish correctly and controlling pests in a food production area.
- We will look at and discuss the differences between microbes and viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and algae.