On This Page
- We run Food Handling & Hygiene Courses at our in-house training facility in Tauranga
- If you need to meet the new Food Act requirements then PCTI can help to get you there with our Food Handler Courses
- When you work in the food industry you have a responsibility to practise good food safety methods so that the public will not become sick from eating contaminated food
- The laws (statutes) that guard against unsafe food being sold are:
- The Food Act 2014
- The Food Hygiene Regulations 1974
- The Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992
Food Handler Course Details
- Food and Produce NZ offers a Standard 1 day food handler course in Tauranga and you can attend a further day to achieve our Advanced food handling certificate.
- These courses are for anyone training to work in a food business and concludes in an understanding of practices that result in safe food.
- Everyone who works in the food industry must practice good food safety methods so their customers do not become ill from eating food bought from their outlets.
- People who complete these courses are able to demonstrate knowledge of food contamination hazards whether chemical or physical and prevent cross contamination by handling food safely, delivering food that is clean, safe and of good quality.
2 Course Options
- Standard Course (1 Day)
- Prior to day 1 you will receive a distance learning module before a practical exercise delivered in our training facility with a review of the theory and an assessment.
- Unit Standard 20666: Demonstrate basic knowledge of contamination hazards and control methods used in a food business. (Level 2 | Credits 2)
- Cost: $370 inc. GST
- Advanced Course (2 Days)
- The standard course is a pre requisite for the advanced course
- Delivered in our training facility incorporating additional theory, practical activities and assessments
- Unit standard 20666 + Unit standard 167: Practise food safety methods in a food business under supervision. (Level 2 | Credits 4)
- Cost: $490 inc. GST
Participants will receive a Certificate of Achievement & NZQA credits.
The topics covered on these courses include:
- Personal hygiene and unhygienic activities through the use of good habits and avoiding bad habits. Cleaning and sanitising (there is a difference) work areas and equipment.
- Handling and monitoring high risk food correctly as well as storing them at the correct temperature as well as handling rubbish correctly and controlling pests in a food production area.
- We will look at and discuss the differences between microbes and viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoa, and algae.