Start Your Baking Apprenticeship
Which of the following applies to you?
- Are you a secondary school student aiming for a career in baking?
- Are you already working in a bakery and want to become a qualified baker?
- Are you interested in a career switch over to the baking industry?
Whatever your situation, if you are interested in becoming a qualified baker by starting a baking apprenticeship, we can help.
5 Quick Facts About Your Baking Apprenticeship
- We offer baking apprenticeships in bakeries all over New Zealand
- Food and Produce NZ, are contracted by COMPETENZ, the Industry Training Organization (ITO) to manage and support your Baking Apprenticeship
- You’ll be working towards the New Zealand Certificate in Baking (Level 4)
- The course involves:
- On-the-job training
- Course work modules delivered via “distance learning”
- Annual block courses at our training centre in Napier
- Approximately 4 visits per year from your tutor, Graham Heaven, to support you and assess your job skills
- This course is lead by our award winning baker, Graham Heaven
Q: “How do I get Qualified as a Baker?”
- If you already work in a Bakery, have a discussion with your employer about your interest in becoming an apprentice
- If you are thinking about getting a job in a Bakery, have a look at job advertisements or approach your local bakeries
Q: “How long does it take to get qualified?”
- The length of your apprenticeship does vary, but most will take approximately 3 years to achieve the unit standards and their assessments.
- On average, you are expected to achieve 70 NZQA unit standard credits a year.
Interview With Baking Apprentice: Hilary Faul